Skip to main content
Reference Image - Not for Reproduction
Backplate
Reference Image - Not for Reproduction
Image © Worcester Art Museum, all rights reserved.

Backplate

Culture
Date1500–1510
Mediumsteel and leather
Dimensions42 × 36 × 19 cm (16 9/16 × 14 3/16 × 7 1/2 in.), 4 lb 6.5 oz (weight)
ClassificationsArms and Armor
Credit LineThe John Woodman Higgins Armory Collection
Object number2014.1169.3
DescriptionThis is a three-plate type of the form found with German "Knechtbrusten" of the period, circa 1500-1510. The mainplate is beaten up short of the tops of the shoulders, with a low hollow between the shoulderblades and a wide neck opening reaching almost to the openings for the arms. The opening is straight, with a slight upcurve at the ends. The edge of this and at the deep, curved arm openings has a boxed, plain inward turn. There is a pair of holes for the restored straps at the shoulders, and a pair of small lacing holes centered below the neck opening. Overlapping and riveted to the straight sides of the mainplate are curved extension-plates under the arms. These are turned to match the openings at the arms, and have a curved leading edge that is plain. The basal edges of all three plates are straight and unturned.

Riveted at either side of the mainplate is a deep waistplate with a transverse recess at the ends of which are the restored waist-straps and buckle. The bottom edge of the waistplate is fitted with a riveted, single plate loin-guard. This is deep, curved to the body, of equal depth over its length, with straight side ends rounded above, and a straight bottom edge that is turned as above. The lower edge is pierced with later holes at the center and either end. The imperfect fit between the waistlame and the plates above and below seems to be a result of the former having been inverted during previous restoration efforts and mounted improperly.
ProvenanceHerr A. Ullmann (Munich, Germany) Julius Böhler (Munich) William Randolph Hearst (California and Wales; his 1047-180) Purchased by the Armory on 14 December 1942 from Gimbel Brothers (NYC). Collection transfer from Higgins Armory, January 2014.
On View
Not on view